First of all, I'm no astrology freak but I know the signs and some of the ideas about the zodiac hold true. I am an Aries. I didn't find out as a child that I was an Aries and pattern my behavior after the profile; rather, I was born as I was, my character developed as it did and one day I came across my sign as it corresponded to my birthday. I read the profile and recognized myself all through it. That being said, Aries are passionate and argumentative (grumble) among other things. My corresponding planet is Mars, the Roman god of war, whose Greek name is Ares. See? Arguing is in my stars.
Even so, I never argue for argument's sake. I'm not actually argumentative. My dad and others have called me relentless in an argument, which is true, and a whole different animal. All that means is that when I do deign to argue, I do it to win. To me, I'll admit, each argument is a mini war with me on one side of the line and my opponent on the other. I'm only arguing because I feel there is an important point to be made. Therefore I will argue my point with all I've got. It may get heated, so deal. It's an argument, not a tickle fight.
Also, being crystal clear and defining terms is very important to me. "You never (ex) take my advice, anyway" or "You always (ex) talk down to me" are really annoying. They're whiny and not at all conducive to an argument. Think about it. If you're a friend, do I really NEVER take your advice? Please remember that never means NEVER. For God's sake, don't hyperbolize.
And I don't endorse passive aggression. I'll confide in you that the argument with my sister started because she was upset about something and expressed it by making faces, avoiding eye contact and slamming my cabinets. "Is there a problem?" "No." SLAM!! "You seem upset." "I'm fine." BANG!! CRASH!! I responded by guessing what she was upset about and addressing it one- sided. Wrong, sure, but what other choice did I have? She kept saying she didn't want to fight about it so leave her alone. I said your eyes keep rolling in your head. Your hands keep trying to splinter my cabinetry. You're already fighting about it, girlfriend. I believe she wanted to (crude alert!) indulge her pissy attitude and act out on me without actually engaging me. I consider this MONSTROUSLY unfair. I see all passive aggressive behavior as explicit engagement that denies the other person the chance to respond. So I will respond. Simple as that.
I'm not the type to go around making people cry. In an argument, however- especially those that start like the above example- sometimes people cry. Which, in and of itself, is normal for a person under stress but is usually a manipulative act- what I call "The Showstopper". This is the point at which I'm supposed to say "hey, hey, please don't cry...shhhh". What came out the time with my sister was "oh, god, now you're crying? since you started this, shouldn't I be the one crying??" Which was, yeah, mean. But I don't end the argument here and on the rare occasions that I have let "The Showstopper" actually stop the show, it has taken massive amounts of will to shut up. I maybe have a little trouble letting things go. I feel that an argument is pointless without a resolution so I usually don't stop until one has been reached. Sorry.
No comments:
Post a Comment